Gathering with the friends over your favorite card games- is indeed the best entertainment in the world. But Adulting and altered priorities have taken that fun element away from us. Not really!
It’s time we get back with our friends and family on to our “yaaro ka thikana ONLINE!”. Just to brush up your skills, here is the information you must keep in mind before hitting the tables. Here is Pokerbuddy365’s one stop beginner’s guide to help you learn how to play the most entertaining game of strategies.
How to Play Poker?
There are 4 suits (Clubs ♣, Diamonds ♦, Spades ♠, Hearts ♥) on a deck of 52 cards, each having 13 ranks (high to low – Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2). All suits are equal in value that means Ace of ♣ is equal to Ace of ♥ diamonds. Generally, when all the cards are shown at the end of the hand- known as “Showdown”, the player that holds the highest ranked hand becomes the winner.
THE BASIC GAMEPLAY:
Understand Hand Ranking:
In all the different types of games, hand ranking rules are the same. The highest value hand, beats any of the lowest value hands. Following are the hand ranks:
Five highest possible cards of the same suit in a sequence.
Any five cards of the same suit in numerical order.
FOUR OF A KIND
Four cards of equal rank. The fifth card (kicker)can be of any value.
Three cards of the same rank with any two cards of another rank.
Any five cards of the same suit.
Five cards of different suits but in numerical order.
THREE OF A KIND
Three cards of the same rank and 2 unrelated cards.
Two different pairs of cards and 1 unrelated card.
Two cards of the same rank and three unrelated cards.
When comparing two such types of hands, the hand with the best-possible high card wins.
How to deal with cards and how to bet?
After the initial cards are dealt, the players are called to act in the clockwise manner around the table. Each of the player can take one of the following actions when it’s their turn:
- CHECK:To check is to deny the opportunity to bet. The players will only check when there is no bet in the current round, and this act of checking passes in the clockwise direction to the next person. After all the players have checked, they remain in the hand and the round is considered complete.
- BET:The players can bet even if no other player has bet during the round. Once the bet has been made, other players can call by matching the betting amount to remain in the hand.
- FOLD:Players who fold their card cannot win or act again in the current hand.
- CALL:Players can call if oher players have already bet in the current round by matching the highest bet made in the current round.
- RAISE:This is used to raise the bet that has been made already in the current round. All the subsequent players are required to call the raise or re-raise to stay in the hand.
Texas Hold’em and Omaha are the two most popular poker games that have similar betting structures, with 4 rounds of betting, as the following:
- Pre-flop betting round:
This round begins when all the players have received their hole cards, before community cards have been dealt.
- The flop round:
After the first three community cards are dealt, this round begins.
- The turn:
This round begins to deal with the fourth community card.
- The river:
This round occurs when the fifth and final community card is dealt.
1: The opponent’s hole cards
2: Community cards
3: Your hole cards
How to move for a SHOWDOWN?
After the last bet has been raised, a showdown happens, wherein, the remaining active players “Show” or “Declare” their hands and the one with the highest ranking hand wins.
But to know what amount of poker money can be raised, following are the betting limits:
- No Limit:
In the game with “no limit” betting structure, each player can raise up to any amount (even their entire amount that they have) in any of the rounds whenever they have to act.
- Pot Limit:
With a pot limit, the players can bet or raise only as high as the pot limit set in the beginning of the game.
- Fixed Limit:
In this, a fixed amount of betting is set in advance in the given round. So, the player can call, bet or rise only up to the fixed amount.
Now you know the basics, so just go ahead and explore your luck in the game.